Putting together an event of the scale and quality of TEDxCanberra requires several thousand hours of volunteer effort, from a team of around 20 people, with an extended, on-the-day team closer to each event. Just like any small organisation, everyone has a specific, defined role they are responsible for (we’re big on responsibility). Everyone also pitches in where and how they can if help is needed.
Our volunteers take on roles at three levels:
- Core Team – you’ll be committing to a full year of involvement with TEDxCanberra, potentially for several hours each week. There are regular weekend meetings to attend (usually on a Sunday), and we often hold meetings after regular work hours.
- Part time – a role where you can offer blocks of time across the year as you are available. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
- On-the-day – a role where you will be needed for about 4 – 5 days, mostly on weekends, as a major event approaches. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
So, am I right for TEDxCanberra?
Core team roles require a minimum of five to 10 hours a week. Occasionally, there will be peaks of activity where some of us spend practically every spare minute on finalising an event. Be honest with yourself about the amount of time you have and are prepared to commit. Then, once you’ve worked that out, come and talk to us about whether you’re a good fit for our team.
We interview every volunteer, sometimes more than once, to determine whether we’ll be able to work together. We hire for three factors:
- cultural fit – no matter how stellar a candidate’s skills are, if they don’t fit well with our team, it won’t work out for anyone involved
- attitude – we seek out people who have a lot of initiative and will just jump in and make things happen
- adaptability and skills – we’re looking for people with good core skills for the job they do, but who will also look for opportunities to learn and who can adapt quickly.
Sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date.
Core team roles for 2019 now open!
2019 will be TEDxCanberra’s tenth year – and boy, do we have a lot planned. If you’d like to get involved we’d love to hear from you.
Roles we are actively recruiting for:
Speaker Curator – 2 roles
- Work with the Lead Curator to identify, approach and select speakers
- Make arrangements for travel and accommodation, provide guidance to presenters and collate presenter information
- Work with the Production Manager to ensure necessary props, images and text for event materials are provided within agreed timeframes
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team on speaker media promotion
- Work with the Lead Curator to identify, approach and select performers
- Work with Partner Lead to arrange visits by performers to partner organisations
- Work with Production and Staging teams to provide necessary props, musical setup, images and text for event materials and site
- Work with Comms team on performer media
- Leading recruitment activities for an on-the day volunteer cohort that can be deployed as necessary for event execution. Organic recruitment strategies deployed to retain and ensure TED’s mission and vision is shared by volunteers. Running pulse surveys to garner feedback and communications after every iteration and on an ongoing basis to incorporate continuous feedback
- Developing a volunteer engagement plan in alignment with TEDxCanberra’s calendar of activities
- Organising and running community-based events to keep the broader (volunteer) community active, connected and engaged throughout the year i.e. ‘All hands on Deck’ day- main event day Induction, brown-bag events etc.
- Creating task plans for events and allocating responsibility accordingly to ensure duties that need to be performed get done either in advance or during the course of an event for a streamlined attendee experience
- Coordination and management of on-the-day volunteers at event
- Support the Licensee in designing and delivering new approaches to community building and activation
- In conjunction with other teams or independently, design and deliver attendee activations to enhance attendee experiences, in line with event theme and TED values
- Take responsibility for execution of activities, as appropriate, prior to, during and post-event i.e. venue coordination, materials audit
- Ideally should have a background in design thinking
- In conjunction with the Licensee, Co-Organiser and Marketing Team Lead, support the maintenance and updating of the official website
- Liaise with our web infrastructure partner as needed
- Manage Eventbrite, Attendify and other web-based platforms that power the TEDxCanberra experience
- We’re open to someone who is happy to rejig our current website, or someone who is looking to redesign as part of their own portfolio build.
- Create the concept based on the theme for 2019.
- Create a range of templates for digital design elements that can be used across enewsletter, social and the website. Can be built in Canva if you’d prefer to be more hands off. Will also need concept for design of digital brochure. Create print design like the lanyard.
- Opportunity to be a part of the Comms team and grow your network. Would be a great portfolio builder.
Does one of these sound like you? Click here to register your interest through our form here.
Do none of them sound like you, but you’re a TED fanatic who wants to contribute to our 2019 series of events? We’d still love to hear from you! Just click ‘other’ in the form.
Want to be an On The Day volunteer?
On The Day volunteers are crucial to the event’s success. Roles include assisting with registration and sign in, setting up or assisting with our activations and being the point of contact for attendees on the day.
Expressions of interest for On The Day volunteers will open later in the year. If you’d like to volunteer in 2019, sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date with volunteer recruitment.