TEDxCanberra 2018 Speaker Curator
Timing: February – November 2014
TEDxCanberra builds community through unearthing and celebrating ideas worth spreading.
We’re looking for an two curious and energetic people to join the TEDxCanberra volunteer team as Speaker Curators. You’ll work closely with our Lead Curator and the rest of our core team, in line with our core values (see below), to bring TEDxCanberra 2018 to life. The right person for this role is inquisitive, enthusiastic, and able to work collaboratively with others. Think of yourself as a super sleuth on the hunt for the best ideas Canberra has to offer, or that need to be brought to the Canberra community.
Description and Scope
- Work with the Lead Curator to identify, approach and select speakers
- Make arrangements for travel and accommodation, provide guidance to presenters and collate presenter information
- Work with Partnerships Lead to arrange visits by presenters to partner organisations, in line with partnership agreements
- Work with the Production Manager to ensure necessary props, images and text for event materials are provided within agreed timeframes
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team on speaker media promotion.
What you can expect
As part of the TEDxCanberra team, you can expect:
- A completely equal pay structure – no one receives any!
- Opportunities to work in an open, collaborative and energising environment where ideas are encouraged and valued
- Opportunities to develop leadership and problem solving skills
- A community to call your own, not just in Canberra, but globally with other TEDx organisers
- Connection with a network of volunteers, partners, speakers and participants, where you get to know people from widely different backgrounds
- A LOT of fun
TEDxCanberra’s Core Values
We value inclusion. Everyone is invited. All are welcome. We respect each other and members of our community. We actively seek to include the excluded and marginalised. It is safe for us to be our full selves.
We value service. Everyone matters. Adopting heart-centred service means everyone we interact with knows that they are seen, heard and cared for by us. The service we provide – each other, our speakers, our partners, our audience, our community – shows who we are.
We value worthy ideas. We will seek out, support and promote people who have ideas worth spreading. To us, ideas worth spreading are ideas that contribute to improving the human condition and have a solid evidence base.
We value learning. We stay curious, keep exploring and stay humble. We respond to mistakes with compassion and care; we learn from our mistakes with courage and determination to grow through the experience.
We value fun. Joy, laughter, playfulness and creativity are as essential to what we do as the air we breathe. We take our work seriously but know that, if we’re not having fun along the way, we’re doing it wrong.
We value trust. We maintain confidentiality when needed, and transparency is our default position. Trust is earned when we keep our promises, and live all our values. We extend trust to each other and honour it in return.
Candidate must have the following skills
- Enthusiasm for and curiosity about ideas worth spreading
- Excellent communication skills, exceptional attention to detail and the ability to support TEDxCanberra co-workers and speakers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide range of potential speakers, while clearly setting out what it takes to make it to the TEDxCanberra stage
- Able to plan and achieve tasks to meet deadlines
- Strong collaboration skills to maintain good working relationships with TEDxCanberra co-workers and partners
- Able to work remotely and collaboratively using Basecamp and Google Drive
- Knowledge of TED/TEDx.
- Planning: February – May (4 hours/week)
- Planning/execution: May – September (assuming a September event) (10 hours/week)
- A non-negotiable three day commitment to the 2018 event (Bump In, Rehearsal Day, Show Day)
- Wrap up: September – November (2-3 hours/week)
Workload can largely be managed outside of business hours.
Closing date Sunday 11 February.