Putting together an event of the scale and quality of TEDxCanberra requires several thousand hours of volunteer effort, from a team of around 25 people, with an extended, on-the-day team closer to the event. Just like any small organisation, everyone has a specific, defined role they are responsible for (we’re big on responsibility). Everyone also pitches in where and how they can if help is needed.
Our volunteers take on roles at three levels:
- Core Team – you’ll be committing to a full year of involvement with TEDxCanberra, potentially for several hours each week. There are regular weekend meetings to attend (usually on a Sunday), and we often hold meetings after regular work hours.
- Part time – a role where you can offer blocks of time across the year as you are available. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
- On-the-day – a role where you will be needed for about 4 – 5 days, mostly on weekends, as a major event approaches. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
So, am I right for TEDxCanberra?
Because we’re all volunteers, the first question you need to ask yourself is “will I have the time?” The answer is “it depends”. Volunteering for TEDxCanberra can take as little as an hour a week, and very occasionally, be like a second full-time job. You need to be prepared for that. And prepared to be open with your colleagues about your real life demands – work, home, school, relationships, hobbies and sports, and so on.
The next question you might want to ask is “what kind of person suits TEDxCanberra?” That’s more complicated, but in essence, we hire for three factors, weighted like this:
- cultural fit at 50 percent – no matter how stellar a candidate’s skills are, if they don’t fit well with your team, it won’t work out for anyone involved
- attitude at 30 percent – we seek out people who have toppled challenges with very limited resources and who will just jump in and make things happen
- smarts and skills at 20 percent – we’re looking for people with good core skills for the job they do, but who will also look for opportunities to learn and who can adapt quickly
If you’re interested in volunteering for TEDxCanberra, please check out what jobs are currently available.