Putting together an event of the scale and quality of TEDxCanberra requires several thousand hours of volunteer effort, from a team of around 20 people, with an extended, on-the-day team closer to each event. Just like any small organisation, everyone has a specific, defined role they are responsible for (we’re big on responsibility). Everyone also pitches in where and how they can if help is needed.
Our volunteers take on roles at three levels:
- Core Team – you’ll be committing to a full year of involvement with TEDxCanberra, potentially for several hours each week. There are regular weekend meetings to attend (usually on a Sunday), and we often hold meetings after regular work hours.
- Part time – a role where you can offer blocks of time across the year as you are available. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
- On-the-day – a role where you will be needed for about 4 – 5 days, mostly on weekends, as a major event approaches. You are welcome, but not required, to attend weekend meetings (usually on a Sunday), and may sometimes need to attend meetings after regular work hours.
So, am I right for TEDxCanberra?
Volunteering for TEDxCanberra can take as little as an hour a week. Most core team roles require a minimum of five to 10 hours a week. Occasionally, there will be peaks of activity where some of us spend practically every spare minute on finalising an event. Be honest with yourself about the amount of time you have and are prepared to commit. Then, once you’ve worked that out, come and talk to us about whether you’re a good fit for our team.
We interview every volunteer, sometimes more than once, to determine whether we’ll be able to work together. We hire for three factors:
- cultural fit – no matter how stellar a candidate’s skills are, if they don’t fit well with our team, it won’t work out for anyone involved
- attitude – we seek out people who have a lot of initiative and will just jump in and make things happen
- adaptability and skills – we’re looking for people with good core skills for the job they do, but who will also look for opportunities to learn and who can adapt quickly.
Volunteer submissions for core team roles in 2018 are now closed.
We will be calling for On-the-Day Volunteers later in the year. Sign up to our newsletter to stay up to date.
Check back later in the year for On-the-Day Volunteer opportunities