Several policies apply to all TEDxCanberra events..
Conditions for acceptance
Before an application for registration can be accepted, it must meet the following criteria.
- Availability: There must be availability of places
- Payment: Prompt payment must be made at the time of your application
TEDxCanberra’s right to terminate registration
We reserve the right to terminate any registration at any stage before an event without explanation by notifying the individual concerned by email, and delivering a refund.
All registrations for TEDxCanberra events are one person-one registration. There are no multiple or group registrations.
For a corporation, organisation or family, there is a limit of four (4) places. We can’t stop you registering more, but we ask you to be a good TEDx citizen.
A limited number of places for TEDxCanberra are given away to people considered deserving of a place, but unable to afford to pay for registration. Decisions on allocation are at the discretion of TEDxCanberra organisers.
Persons seeking allocation of a free place should email firstname.lastname@example.org arguing their case.
10 percent of TEDxCanberra registrations are set aside for students in primary and secondary school. A maximum of 60 places will be allocated free to students.
Free student places are allocated at two (2) free places for students being available for each primary or secondary school teacher paying for full registration with a limit of four (4) free places per school.
Teachers seeking free places for their students must email email@example.com from their .edu.au email address after completing their registration. TEDxCanberra will respond with instructions for claiming free places.
We usually can not refund a TEDxCanberra registration.
If you cannot attend a TEDxCanberra conference, your best option is to transfer or carry over the membership (terms vary depending on the conference – see below).
At the discretion of TEDxCanberra organisers, a refund may be issued in some circumstances.
TEDxCanberra Conference registration policies
A fee is charged for attendance to the TEDxCanberra Conference. TEDxCanberra reserves the right to reject registrations. Once attendance has been agreed and payment processed, the following terms apply:
Registrations are approved for specific individuals and may not be transferred unless:
- we receive full details of the proposed transfer in writing (email us at firstname.lastname@example.org) at least four (4) weeks before the start of the conference
- the proposed Transferee completes an online registration that is approved by us. In general, he or she must be someone as equally able to contribute to the community as the Transferor. In the case of corporate transfers, the Transferee will need to be of equivalent seniority or higher
- you pay the administration fee of AU$20
In those cases where a transfer is granted, the following terms also apply:
- the Transferee will receive a normal TEDxCanberra registration
TEDxCanberra reserves the right to refuse even those transfer requests that meet the above terms, and instead to refund the registration.
Transfers for Partners
If you are a Partner and you are unable to attend TEDxCanberra, you may send another individual of your choice, provided:
- we receive the Transferee’s registration application at least three (3) weeks before the start of the conference
- you confirm to us your belief that the Transferee will be a good fit for TEDxCanberra
- the Transferee will receive a normal TEDxCanberra registration
- we will waive the administration fee
If you discover you cannot make it to the conference, you may be entitled to attend the following year’s conference, provided:
- we receive the request in writing at least five (5) weeks before the start of the conference (email us at email@example.com)
- you pay an administrative fee of AU$30, plus any incremental cost in the price of a conference registration
- this payment must be received before the start of the conference you originally registered for
- if you do not pay the increment within 30 days of registration opening, your registration will be cancelled
- we will not allow registration to be carried over for more than one consecutive year
- carryovers are only allowed to the same conference the next year
- you are not formally transferred or carried over until you have received written confirmation from us
- no changes to registration can occur within five weeks of the conference
TEDxCanberra reserves the right to refuse even those carryover requests that meet the above terms, and instead to refund the registration.
Photography, video and audio recording
TEDxCanberra is subject to extensive recording in video, audio and photographic form. By attending, you acknowledge and accept that you may be the subject of such recording. We will seek to accommodate any specific wish not to be recorded, but cannot guarantee you will not be recorded in some form.
If you wish to alert us to try to avoid recording you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEDxCanberra provides a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organisers.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately.
Partners and exhibitors at TEDxCanberra, and at side events including parties and Adventures, or similar activities are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, exhibitors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, TEDxCanberra organisers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the TEDxCanberra staff immediately. Staff can be identified by their special staff badges and clearly marked clothing.
TEDxCanberra staff will be happy to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all conference venues and conference-related social events.
Challenging subjects, imagery, and speech
TEDxCanberra may schedule presentations or events that are considered adult-themed in nature, and that would otherwise be in breach of the anti-harassment policy. Such presentations will be marked as such in all conference materials and schedules. In these cases, an on-stage warning may also be issued and attendees not wishing to view such material, or with responsibilities for minors will have the opportunity to exit the venue before the session begins.
The use of adult-themed imagery and speech within events will always be used in the context of relevant themes.
TEDxCanberra does not believe in the censorship of adult concepts, imagery or speech but is committed to balancing the concerns of presenters with the issues of harassment.
Attendees or Partners displaying inappropriate or illegal examples of imagery, or using speech with the purpose of harassment or degradation may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the organisers. When choosing to attend adult-themed presentations, please use your best judgment to determine if the subject matter or performance is within your comfort zone.