TEDxCanberra 2018 Attendee Experience Team Leader
TEDxCanberra builds community through unearthing and celebrating ideas worth spreading. We’re looking for a skilled and experienced theatrical producer to join the TEDxCanberra Team. As Attendee Experience Team Leader, you’ll work closely with our Licensee and the rest of our core team, in line with our Core Values (see below), to bring TEDxCanberra 2018 to life.
The right person for this role is experienced in event management and leading volunteers, is able to manage teams and logistics, and can work collaboratively with others. You’ll be responsible for the design and delivery of everything that happens outside the theatre, including: liaising with the ACT Government around use of Civic Square; leading the team in designing attendee and partnership activations; overseeing the planning of event catering, and other duties as agreed with the Organising Team.
Timing: February to December 2018
Description & Scope
With the support of the TEDxCanberra Organising Team, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing a volunteer engagement plan in alignment with TEDxCanberra’s calendar of activities
- Leading recruitment activities for our Event Day volunteer cohort that can be deployed as necessary for event execution
- Induction of Event Day volunteers to ensure TEDxCanberra’s mission and vision is shared by volunteers
- Organising and running events to keep the volunteer community active, connected and engaged throughout the year
- Coordinating attendee experience activations formulation and leading the team in their execution
- Liaising with Events ACT to coordinate access to Civic Square on Event Day
- Overseeing the planning for event catering
- Creating task plans for events and allocating responsibility accordingly to ensure duties that need to be performed get done either in advance or during the course of an event for a streamlined attendee experience
- Coordination and management of on-the-day volunteers at events
- Support the leadership team in reviewing risk management plans, event management/design/advice, recruitment and ad-hoc activities
- Ordering T-Shirts for crew
What you can expect
As part of the TEDxCanberra team, you can expect:
- A completely equal pay structure – no one receives any!
- Opportunities to work in an open, collaborative and energising environment where ideas are encouraged and valued
- Opportunities to develop leadership and problem solving skills
- A community to call your own, not just in Canberra, but globally with other TEDx organisers
- Connection with a network of volunteers, partners, speakers and participants, where you get to know people from widely different backgrounds
- A LOT of fun
TEDxCanberra’s Core Values
We value inclusion. Everyone is invited. All are welcome. We respect each other and members of our community. We actively seek to include the excluded and marginalised. It is safe for us to be our full selves.
We value service. Everyone matters. Adopting heart-centred service means everyone we interact with knows that they are seen, heard and cared for by us. The service we provide – each other, our speakers, our partners, our audience, our community – shows who we are.
We value worthy ideas. We will seek out, support and promote people who have ideas worth spreading. To us, ideas worth spreading are ideas that contribute to improving the human condition and have a solid evidence base.
We value learning. We stay curious, keep exploring and stay humble. We respond to mistakes with compassion and care; we learn from our mistakes with courage and determination to grow through the experience.
We value fun. Joy, laughter, playfulness and creativity are as essential to what we do as the air we breathe. We take our work seriously but know that, if we’re not having fun along the way, we’re doing it wrong.
We value trust. We maintain confidentiality when needed, and transparency is our default position. Trust is earned when we keep our promises, and live all our values. We extend trust to each other and honour it in return.
Candidate must have the following skills
- Project Management / Event Management experience
- Proficiency in maintaining key relationships, strong interpersonal and communication skills and decision-making abilities
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and the ability to support colleagues
- High levels of initiative and ability to work flexibly – things change a lot with an event like this
- Able to manage teams and timelines
- Able to work remotely and collaboratively using Basecamp and Google Drive
- Knowledge of TED/TEDx
- Planning: February-March (2-3 hours/week)
- Planning: April – September (depending on event date) (5-8 hours/week)
- Execution: A non-negotiable three day commitment (Day 1 – Bump In; Day 2 – Rehearsal; Day 3 – Show Day) to deliver TEDxCanberra 2018
- Wrap up: September – December (depending on event date) (2-3 hours/week)
Workload can largely be managed online and outside of business hours, however some activities require face to face support, and must occur during business hours.
Closing date Sunday 11 February.